Re-create your favourite garment
Time & Location
About the Event
This two-day workshop provides a fantastic introduction to pattern cutting by showing you how to copy an existing favourite garment (without taking it apart!)
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
In two days you can expect to cover the following (see below) and have an accurate pattern of your garment and toile to take away.
- understanding the tools required
- tracing your garment on to paper
- modifications for seam allowances, trims and finishing
- fabric grain and minimising waste
- cutting your toile
- sewing your toile, including trims and fastenings fitting your toile, and advice on modifications and tweaks
Group size: 4 to 6 (we prefer to work with small groups to allow for more personalised supervision as you get to grips with your machine.)
HOW WILL THE COURSE BE DELIVERED?
The sessions are 10 - 4:30pm (6 ½ hours each day) Saturday and Sunday. With a 45 min break for lunch.
HOW WILL I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING?
You will get one to one feedback from the tutor throughout your two days.
DO I NEED ANY EXPERIENCE?
No previous experience necessary but you must feel confident using a domestic sewing machine.
WHAT WILL I NEED TO BRING TO MY FIRST CLASS?
Your own sewing machine (if you have one) AND your garment of choice, or a few that we can choose from. And if your a speedy worker bring along some fabric to re-create your garment in!
An information kit will be provided with all of your handouts inside. You may want to bring some paper to take notes during demonstrations.
- Pattern Master (https://www.morplan.com/shop/en/morplan/patternmaster)
- Mechanical Pencil / Sharp pencil
- Sharp Scissors
- Tape Measure
- Tracing wheel (https://www.morplan.com/shop/en/morplan/tracing-wheels)
ARE THERE ANY EXTRA COSTS?
All the equipment needed is available for you to use. The materials for the pattern blocks and patterns are supplied as well as material to make a toile (practice garment) extra calico can also be supplied at cost price £2.95 per metre. If you want to make a wearable garment you will need to supply the fabric for this.
WHAT CAN I DO NEXT?
You can come back for my 10 week course and continue making new patterns and garments.